This is the best Paleo, Whole-foods tuna melt you will ever sink your teeth into. Not only is it easy to make, it is full of nutrients, Minerals, Omega-3’s, and Vitamins.
I have always loved open-faced tuna melts since I was a kid. You know the kind that was full of fat because of the globs of maynonaise my Mom would put in the tuna. Then globs of butter to grill the bread in the pan. Then walked away feeling tired and not energized.
These days I’m a lot more health conscious and want to ensure what I feed my body is clean, organic, whole-foods and have been experimenting in the kitchen with different ways to make my child-hood favorites, but a lot more healthy. So today, for the first time I made this Whole-foods, Paleo Tuna Melt. I didn’t know what to expect and to my surprise it was absolutely the yummiest I’ve EVER tasted and I want to share it with you. I hope you love it too!
I use a cheese alternative that is dairy-free, casein free, gluten free, soy free and vegan. It’s a brand called Follow Your Heart I bought at Bel-Air Market. Amazon has some options, but not quite as good as what you can buy in the store.
The Gluten-free bread I personally love is Canyon Bakehouse brand. They have a variety from white, honey-white, whole-grain and a couple others. For this recipe I used the honey-white. I like this brand better than others because the taste is really good considering it has no gluten, the sugar content is significantly less than other brands and I like the texture of their bread.
- Wild caught tuna (canned)
- Grapeseed Oil Veganaise
- Sea Salt
- Ground Organic Black Pepper
- Organic Red leaf or Green leaf Lettuce
- Organic Tomato (optional)
- Avocado (optional)
- Dairy-free Cheddar Cheese
- Plant-based butter
- Gluten-free bread
- Mix tuna with Veganaise, salt & pepper to taste
- Butter 1 side of bread (2 slices) and put in pan
- Add tuna on top of each slice of bread
- Sprinkle cheese on top of tuna
- Once golden brown remove from pan and put on plate (open side)
- Add lettuce (tomato, avocado optional)
- Close sandwich and enjoy!
After you’ve made this sandwich, tell me how you like it or what variations you’ve come up with. Would love to hear what creation you’ve made.